Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Thoughts on Bangkok

While the stuff I did in Bangkok was among the least interesting stuff I've done so far (at least, in terms of new experiences or sights), I really liked the city. Almost everything about Bangkok felt comfortable and charming to me, at least the parts I saw: It's clean, relatively orderly, and the people are polite although there can be a little bit of bumping on the sidewalks because there are so many vendors. It's easy to get around (but not easy to navigate, being full of twisting alley-like streets). It's modern but still has enough old parts to be charming. And there are lots of cheap ways to entertain yourself, like parks, cafes, ice cream parlors, and window shopping. Cheap massages, too. Of course I have no idea how Bangkok compares to the rest of Thailand, but I'm glad I made the stop in Bangkok, even if it was short and kind of ordinary. And if I'd been with other people, I might have ventured into the more, um, adventurous parts of the city, assuming those actually exist and aren't just an urban legend about the city. I liked Bangkok more than I expected I would, and if anyone is thinking of traveling here, you'll find it's easy and inexpensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment