Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 42: Around Angkor (February 18, 2011)


Again, I spent the first half of the day exploring the ruins around Angkor.  I saw 6 or 7 temples or temple-mountains as some are called.  None are as big and grand as Angkor Wat or Bayon, and most are not in as good condition.  There are patches in each one that are pristine, then large chunks that have fallen into rubble.  Workers in the area are restoring or bolstering the ruins, but they can't fix all of them at once.  It makes me wonder how much Angkor and Bayon have been restored.  It's something to look up I suppose.

Names of places I'll want to remember later:  Preah Khan, Neak Pean, Ta Som, East Mebon, Pre Rup.

Here are a few pics from this morning, before I head back to the temples to watch a sunset, which is one of the things you're supposed to around here.  :)
The tree is both crumbling this building and holding it together.
Lions are everywhere, but this is the only one I've seen with its face.


No comments:

Post a Comment