Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 25: Travel day & airport reviews (February 1, 2011)

[This entry's almost not worth posting because it's so boring (and it's 4 days late).  But I wrote it, dammit, so you're going to read it.]

Today has been nothing but travel. Well, I started at an internet cafe this morning in Dar, then a neighborhood-wide power outage prevented me from updating the blog. So I read at my hotel until leaving for the airport. Since I'm only traveling today, I'll review the two airports I'm passing through:
Dar's airport is, hands down, the worst airport I've ever been in. It is dark. As in, one flourescent lightbulb per room. There is no air conditioning and no fans. It is poorly signed. The electronic message boards about flights were all dark, although at least the airport was small enough I could figure things out alone.

The Dar airport's security procedures were similar to those I've encountered elsewhere. One simple security check at the door to the airport (bag scanner and x-ray machine), then a more detailed security check at the gate. That consisted of bag scanner, x-ray and a non-invasive patdown. There was something odd about their check-in procedures, though. At some airports, there is a person who checks to make sure you have any needed visas for your next stop, and Dar had one of those. I didn't need a visa for Sri Lanka, but the woman who checked my passport proceded to get out this big book and look up all of the visa requirements for all of my upcoming countries. At least I think that's what she was doing, she was kind of vague when I asked. It was weird because, why does she care what happens to me once I'm out of Tanzania? Anyway, I am out of that place and thank the lord.

Doha, Qatar's airport is one of the nicest airports I've been in. It is clean, well-lit, spacious and well-signed. It's got mosques and a quiet room that is dark so people can sleep. It had a mild security check at the door where transfering travelers enter the terminal, but no further security at the gate. Its nicest feature (which was intermittent and therefore slightly disappointing) is the free wifi. Its worst feature is the bus that takes passengers from the terminal to the plane, about a mile away. The bus itself was fine, but the 15 minute wait before getting in the plane was cold. Who knew it got so cold in Qatar?

If you ever get a chance to fly Qatar Airways, you'll be pleased. The crews were super nice, the planes were clean, and each seat has its own entertainment system, so I watched Toy Story and Toy Story 2 on my two flights today.  Both were good.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to know what you're eating along the way. If you have the time or inclination you could spoil me by taking some food pics and giving some descriptions--you know me, I'm always thinking about what I'm going to eat! I'm really enjoying my vicarious trip around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Anton's comment - I'd love to know what you're eating. And, like Anton, I'm also always thinking about my next meal.

    ReplyDelete