Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 34: Sri Lanka Thoughts (February 10, 2011)

Today consisted of nothing except an 8-hour drive across Sri Lanka and now a several hour wait at the airport for my overnight flights to Bangkok.  I am dreading the Mumbai airport, but maybe it will surprise me in a good way.

I really liked Sri Lanka. A lot of that had to do with the fact that I hired Sarath as a guide. All I had to do was tell him how long I'd be in the country and generally what I wanted to see and he got me there. The trip might have been cheaper if I'd taken busses all over, but it would have taken a lot longer and I wouldn't have had anyone to point out the highlights as I went along or get me checked into hotels, and warned me away from the tourist traps, etc. And of course, as I already wrote, I spent some time with the locals who were very welcoming. That might not have happened if I were on the bus. So hiring Sarath was money well spent.

So what didn't I like? As already noted, the whole country needs a good scrub. Most of it is very beautiful anyway (except Colombo, which is big and dirty). Some things were more expensive than I expected, like the hotels (they were still cheap by U.S. standards, though). That's not a real knock against Sri Lanka, just a bit surprising. I could have done with fewer people expecting tips. But again, that was the tiniest of annoyances. Even the vendors at the archeological sites weren't too pushy. They'd show me their stuff then would wander off when I said no thank you. And people don't really stand in line here, but that too was more of an annoyance than anything.  I wasn't in a hurry.

And what did I like? The people were nice, the food was great, and the ancient ruins and buddist temples were just what I'd hoped to see. It was very beautiful. I also really liked how most things about the country seemed familiar (ordinary stuff like groceries and internet cafes) but with different details, making it more interesting than back home. Example: because it's so warm all year (in most places here) most homes are more open to the outdoors than in the States. One of Sarath's main rooms wasn't enclosed at all, just covered like a porch. And of course the architecture and colors and clothes are just a little different, too.

I feel like I should have a lot more good things to say about Sri Lanka, given how much I liked it. Hopefully that all came through in my earlier posts. Mostly I'm glad I didn't have a lot to criticize!  Like some other stops, I may not ever get a chance to come back, but I definitely would return, next time for a longer trip.  I'd highly recommend Sri Lanka for any of you too.

Thoughts on Colombo's airport: I'm writing right now from a waiting area in Sri Lanka's airport. It is pretty roomy and clean and there is a lot of seating. It's not very big so it's easy to navigate. There was no wifi out before the check-in counters, but there is some at the gates (yay). And the decorating crew did not disappoint... the light fixtures are draped in Christmas lights and Christmas bulbs.  If security getting on the plane is out of the ordinary, I'll update this post.  Otherwise, that's it for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment