Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 35: Thailand delivers (February 11, 2011)

Although I only got about one hour of sleep last night, sitting up in an airplane, I am somehow still awake at 2:30pm.  I can feel how much the lack of sleep and probably stress is getting to me.  My shoulders are all tight and up around my ears like Richard Nixon's always were.  I think my body is so full of chemicals to keep me awake that it just cannot relax yet.  Fortunately, I am in the land of inexpensive massages and I plan to take advantage of that.

[Hours later.]  I fell asleep for a while and I'm groggy but feel better.

Before my nap I went for a walk around the neighborhood of my hotel.  I'm not near any of the tourist sites, but apparently I'm a district known for its shopping.  It seems like if there is something to sell, there is a store here that sells it.  Like a store that sells safes, and a store that sells wheels for chairs and carts.  Not the actual chairs and carts, just their wheels.
A typical street in the Silom neighborhood.
I stopped at a smoothy store, lured in by the photo of a green tea frappe.  Looks good, eh?
To pass the time, I browsed through a Thai magazine, something that was clearly for teenage girls.
It was very much like Seventeen magazine, except mostly in Thai:  It had articles about famous people, clothes, makeup, a few boys, horoscopes, etc.  Then at the very back were several pages of advertisements peddling smut:
Pages and pages!  Did I mention this was a magazine for teenage girls?

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing that the magazine for 17 yr olds caters to an older, decidedly creepy, male clientele as well. Dont read it in public!

    ReplyDelete