Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 42, continued

Sunset at Phnom Bakheng temple mountain was kind of a letdown.  The temple itself wasn't one of the most impressive ones, being a little bit falling apart and without many detailed carvings.  And the sunset itself was a dud, being really overcast about an hour before it set and then actually clouding over about 30 minutes before it set.  Even if the sun had been dazzling, I couldn't see what it might do to the temple to make it worth dealing with the crowds.  /shrug/  I wound up leaving before the sun hit the horizon, and I kind of felt like one of those weirdos who leave the fireworks before the grand finale.  But given the atmospheric conditions, I didn't feel too bad about it, especially since I beat about 10 million people to the bottom of the mountain.  My guess is a lot of people go there at subset because they're told "they must see it" when it really isn't that great most days.
See the cool sunset effects?  Me either.
Despite my fears that every place in the Angkor region would be swarming with tourists, I've had lots of places to myself, or with just a couple of other people.  The most famous places -- Angkor Wat and Bayon -- are pretty crowded, but even there a person can find quiet spots, if they just wander off the main walkway.  And the less well-known temples are even easier to see on one's own.

I'm writing from a little cafe in the market area of Siem Reap that I really like.  It's got what they call a "cool lounge" which means it has a giant couch that people can camp on, seemingly for as long as they like.  Some people even go to sleep here, like the woman next to me who ate half a hamburger, took a nap, then woke up to eat the rest.  The free wifi makes it even nicer.  It's on the expensive side, though.  Dinner plus my drink and dessert will cost me $10.
My dinner was tasty, and I'm going to describe it more so that I remember it than because I think it was really exotic.  It was a pumpkin and goat cheese ravioli, with slightly creamed spinach, honey and little dried apple squares.  I actually made something like that for mom and dad a few months ago, and think I could replicate this version with ease.  (For those who don't know me well, I'm not much of a cook.)  Obviously, it wasn't a traditional cambodian meal, but all of my other meals have been, including breakfasts.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool pictures. It's crazy to think about what all this must of looked like hundreds of hears ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are those scary trees?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, mom. Many of the ruins were left alone for so long that trees just started growing everywhere. Inside the buildings, on top of the buildings. Their roots still need the soil, though, so they head downwards and cover the walls. I don't know what kind of trees these are.

    ReplyDelete