Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 37: Bangkok (February 13, 2011)

I don't feel much like writing tonight, but here are some photos from the day, which consisted of exploring more of Bangkok and eating a lot.
I should explain that... I was hanging out at Victory Monument, just watching the world go by, and this horde of people in red shirts on mopeds rode through the traffic circle.  There were thousands and thousands of them.  I made a single-serving friend today, Sam, who's originally from Thailand but now lives in the U.S.  He told me they are the Red Shirts, and that the Yellow Shirts were also protesting today in another part of town.  Even after reading an article about them, I'm not sure who they are or what they were protesting.  And I didn't know how to feel or what to do while watching them -- should I cheer?  It was pretty impressive.  But what if they were like the Klan?  I couldn't cheer for that.  So I just watched, like everyone else around me.  And took photos, because it was unusual.
A famous and popular hindu temple (not sure it's a temple?) right in the middle of a boring downtown street.
The women will sing and dance a prayer, for a donation.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like a more colorful version of Rolling Thunder.

    ReplyDelete