Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Day 36: Bangkok, Thailand (February 12, 2011)

I don't know if all of Bangkok is as cute as my neighborhood, but my neighborhood is really cute.  Someone back home tried to talk me out of going to Thailand because it was "too commercialized."  Well, I guess I like that, because I'm charmed by this city (so far at least).

I spent the first half of the day chatting online with a couple of friends from home (yay!), then the afternoon just walking around and window shopping.  There are lots of cafes and restaurants, all of which are really cheap (my sit-down dinner cost about $4.50, with tip).  And it's clean and orderly, and bustling with people but not crowded.  I didn't see any famous sights today, it was really just strolling and grazing at the various cafes along the way.  Oh, and I stopped at one of the dozens of massage parlors for a $10 massage.  Money well spent; my shoulders are only halfway up to my ears now.  Here are a handful of shots from the day:
The streetsigns count down the green lights and the red lights.
And if you're wondering what I've been eating, so far it's mostly been the same kind of food one can find in any thai restaurant in America.  Spicy coconut broth soup, hot and spicy papaya salad, sticky rice.  And so far it tastes the same too.  Well, slightly hotter, but the ingredients are the same.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment