Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 48: On to Singapore (February 24, 2011)

I took a late morning flight from Phnom Penh to Singapore today.  So far, it is the cleanest city I've ever seen, and I suspect I'm in the dingy part of town (I'll tell you why in a minute).  I'd heard that was the case, and that the laws enforcing cleanliness (and everything else) are very strict, but I guess the reports are true.  The airport is large and pristine, and like something out of science fiction.  Star Trek science fiction, not that dirty Fifth Element/Blade Runner stuff.  The metro is the same way, and it was an easy ride from the airport to my hotel.

Since it started to pour as soon as I finished my lunch, I ditched my idea of riding downtown to walk around.  I did get to explore my neighborhood, though, and discovered it's full of cheap (and tasty!) eateries and sidewalk vendors for snacks.  So I'll be able to eat at reasonable prices, even though this is a very expensive city generally.  A couple of shots from my neighborhood:

I mentioned Singapore is expensive.  This is true of the hotels, too, so there weren't many choices below $50.  The place I'm at is about $43/night and while it's clean and the bed is comfy, it's pretty spartan, like a dorm room.  That's fine, though, as I'm only here two nights and I don't need luxury.  When I checked in, I asked about an unusual feature in the lobby:  a series of wall boxes that looked like small lockers (specifically, they looked like the lockers at Spa World, where people leave their shoes before going to the changing rooms).  The clerk chuckled and told me I didn't want to know what they were.  I told him of course I did, especially after that answer!  So he admitted the hotel was, until recently, a brothel, and customers would store their things there.  The hotel's undergone a renovation since then, including new beds (and yes I peaked at the mattress lol).  But they still haven't gotten around to taking the condom vending machine out of the lobby.  I told the clerk I thought it was fine; even non-hookers need them sometimes.  I passed a number of gentlemen's clubs on my walkabout too.  High class clubs, from the looks of it, but clearly clubs.  Funny, I expected this maybe in Bangkok, but not here.  I suppose every town has its seedier parts.  Oh, and it doesn't feel uncomfortable at all.  I went out around 9pm to get dinner and it's a totally normal neighborhood.

I'll be out tomorrow, rain or shine, and should have more to report.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the sexy lady tile art would be more appropriate in this hotel's shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you can get a quality tattoo outside your hotel. I would suggest the sexy lady tile art as your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DO like acquiring art that reminds me of places I've been. A sexy lady tile art tattoo would remind me of TWO places.

    ReplyDelete