Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 96: Back to Tahiti (April 13, 2011)

Today was a long day, as in boring long, not difficult long.  Having little to do on Moorea, I took an early ferry back to Tahiti.  The ferry terminal is the city Papeete (which is the capital of French Polynesia?  Not sure?) and when I drove through Papeete on my way to Moorea it looked like there might be things to see there.  Well, being an actual city it was easy to walk around, but really, it was just a series of expensive shops, markets and cafes.  There were only so many pearl necklaces I could look at before my eyes started to glaze over.  I also wound up drinking three double espressos today, as I stopped at cafes along the way.  I usually cut myself off at 2pm, but I was so antsy for something to do, I just kept on drinking.  Hope it doesn't screw me up for my overnight flight to Easter Island.

Oh, that's another reason today went so slowly... I'm itching with anticipation to get on the airplane to the stop I've been most looking forward to!  I've been paranoid my entire trip that something was going to get in the way of my flight there.  A cancelled flight, terrible weather diverting the plane, having to return home early for some reason.  It's so remote and so few flights go there, if something went wrong it would really put a dent in my plans.  I'd also originally made it one of my first stop, instead of one of last stops, because I'd originally mapped my route going around the world to the west, not east.  So having to wait for it has made me extra anxious.  I'm almost afraid to write about it now, for fear of jinxing myself before my plane actually leaves lol.  I've still got another 4 hours before take-off, and I'm camping the lobby of my first hotel, which is across from the airport, because it's got free wifi (I'm addicted.  And striving to relieve the boredom).

I don't feel like I need to write a separate post about my thoughts on Tahiti.  I did a couple of fun things here -- swimming with marine animals and going to a fun show --  but overall, it wasn't a great stop for me.  In the few days before I arrived, I was sort of optimistic that I'd enjoy my time here, if for no other reason than my expectations were so low that they were bound to be exceeded.  And learning about the migration of people all over the South Pacific piqued my interest.  Alas, French Polynesia turned out to be as uninteresting as I'd feared.  /shrug/  It wasn't terrible -- not by a long shot -- it's just not the place for me.

I sure hope I'm not as disappointed by Easter Island.  It too is a mere island in the South Pacific.  But I'm counting on the novelty of all those stone heads to keep me entertained.  Even if they don't do anything but sit there, they will be really cool to see in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment