Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 111: Cusco (April 28, 2011)

The day after Machu Picchu, I didn't do a whole lot worth writing about, so instead, here's some more stuff I wrote while on the train from Machu Picchu to Cusco.

Here's the funniest part of my day. But first I'll preface it by saying, I haven't laughed a whole lot on this trip. I mean real laughter, not that I'm-being-polite-to-new-friends laughter. It's one of the downsides of traveling alone; unless one of my single serving friends is either a great story teller or has the same sense of humor as me, it's harder to share a belly laugh with a stranger than a friend. I think that's part of why I got along with Maartje so well -- we laughed at the same things, like the rude german girl on our tour who we referred to as "The Amazon."

So today... Up by the Sun Gate there was an alpaca on the path. Some of us walked past her (him?) on the way up, then about 15 minutes later, she appeared at the ruins. One of the men nearby approached her, at which point she spead her back legs and dropped about 1,000 alpaca pellets. She must have pooped for two minutes straight.  Cracked me up.
Oh, and I just snapped this photo on the train. He (she?) is apparently some creature of mixed Catholic and Andean spirits, and he's doing a little dance. I'm sure the Pope would approve.
And in turn, that reminds me... there are gay pride flags all over Peru. Or maybe rainbows mean something else here?  /shrug/ 
Huh, a couple of peruvian kids are running alongside our (nearly stopped) train, miming putting food in their mouths. Are they are really hungry, or are just hoping for some sweets? I'll never know, as we've now outdistanced them.

And now the staff of our train are modeling peruvian fashions up and down the aisle, accompanied by some neo-disco music whose vocals sound like Billy Crystal singing You Look Marhvelous, only, for serious.  This is the most entertaining train ride I've been on, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment