Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

A bit more Lima

Despite my quasi-lethargy, I made it out into Lima twice more yesterday.  Once just to walk along the road overlooking the ocean, then later to meet Kim and Mark for a drink.  There's not much to say about the shore.  Lots of people were swimming and surfing down below, although I heard the water is pretty cold due to some stream coming from one of the polar regions.  Most of the area long the shore is either roadway or park, including El Parque del Amor (The Love Park), which is a park dedicated to ... love.
Being in the park did remind me... I've seen more couples in Peru be openly affectionate with one another than I've seen anywhere else.  I don't mean they do anything inappropriate -- just that there is a lot of handholding, walking arm-in-arm, cuddling and kissing on park benches, etc.
After dinner I met Mark and Kim, coincidentally along the same strip of shore that I'd walked earlier.  We met at Tony Romo's (their choice, not mine!) then walked about 5 minutes up the street to their apartment, which overlooks the shore.  During the day they can see the waves and some of the city outside their window.  But at night, they are treated to this Vegas-like display from across the bay:
I have a theory that every big city in South America feels the need to compete with that giant statue of Jesus outside of Rio, and so erects their own massive christian statues.  Granted, I've only been in two cities in South America, but 100% of those cities have their own giant religious statues, so I must be right.

Flying to Cusco in a few minutes, so look for a boring travel-day post later today!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment