Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

#!&&!% $#!+ *^@%

I just had my second big Oh Shit! moment, and I need to settle down before I fix a mistake, so I don't make another mistake while trying to fix the first one.  It doesn't help that I've had nothing to eat, and a cup of coffee, so I was already a bit shakey when I learned my mistake.  And now I'm really shakey.  lol.

I thought I would cross the International Date Line between Tahiti and Easter Island.  Instead, I cross the International Date Line between New Zealand and Tahiti, which means I booked my one night's hotel stay in Tahiti for the wrong date -- the date after I arrive.  And it's too late to cancel it without incurring the penalty of the full amount ($160!).  It's not too late to add one more night to the beginning of my stay, although as you can guess, I am super grouchy with myself, not just for messing that up, but for messing it up at the most expensive stop on my trip.  Grr.  Fortunately, I did get the dates right for the less expensive place I will stay during the rest of my time in French Polynesia.

I remind myself that I'm lucky I caught this mistake now and not at 1am on April 8th, as I'm standing in the lobby of the hotel being told they don't have a reservation for April 7th/8th but they do have a reservation for April 8th/9th.  Better to freak out at noon in a comfortable home in New Zealand than in a hotel lobby in the middle of the night.  I also remind myself that I created an emergency budget just for this sort of thing, and I've barely made a dent in that part of my budget.  So I will be O.K.  Once I get some food in me, probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment