Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 100 (100!): Easter Island (April 17, 2011)

I spent today putzing around.  Chatting with my fellow guests before they all left this afternoon, walking around town, trying new dishes, getting my passport stamped with the Easter Island seal, etc.  (Easter Island belongs to Chile, but has its own fun stamp if you want it.)  I didn't go out and look for more heads or other ruins, although I could have.  There is one other quarry that I did not see and one more major set of Moai.  But they are both in the interior and hard to reach.  Mostly, though, I felt like I saw a really robust selection of Moai, plus a lot of other stuff I didn't even know was on the Island.  I'm quite satisfied with my time here.  One could easily stay longer than four days, if they were a real Moai or Pacific Island enthusiast.  But four days was a decent amount of time.

Since I think this place is so cool, here are more random photos from my time here:
The quarry mountain is in the backgroun.
An ancient ground oven.  Heat it with rocks, put the food inside, cover it with dirt.  Viola!
The natives built these stone circles to trap moisture, allowing plants to grow faster and bigger.  As you can see, they still work.
This is the only kneeling Moai found on the island.  It might have been the first Moai.
My little point-and-shoot camera caught this shot.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that they are all different heights. Like a more representative sample.

    ReplyDelete