Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 103: Santiago, Chile (April 20, 2011)

If you read my last post, you'll know I spent most of the day in bed.  /rolls eyes at self/  But I felt normal again by dinnertime, so I went out to a local restuarant and bar.  Chile -- or at least Santiago -- is far from the cheapest place I've visited, but the prices are quite reasonable by U.S. standards.  I had a ravioli dish and two (that's two!) glasses of wine, plus tip, for about $26.  There are a lot of places to eat and drink here, and the food is good.

One thing I noticed about the place I went to was the cigarette smoke.  I sat at the bar, where smoking is allowed.  Not everyone smoked -- just a few people.  But I've gotten so used to no one around me smoking that I really noticed it.  Cigarette smoke usually doesn't bother me -- unless the air is just completely full of it.  In fact, one of my secret pleasures is walking down the street and breathing in a whiff of cigarette smoke -- just a whiff and it can smell really good!  But I wonder if spending almost four months with exposure to almost no smoke will make me less tolerant of it when I return home?  Looking back on the places I've been, I saw very little smoking.  Almost none until I got to Australia.  And even there I saw very little, although I did walk past one or two people who just reeked of smoke (ugh!) and it smelled much worse than usual.  That was the first time I wondered how I'd respond to the smell of smoke when I once again was in a place where a lot of people smoked:  Would it still be OK or would it bother me?  It didn't bother me tonight at the bar, but I can smell it in my hair.  :(

This whole smoke thing reminds me of my impression of Santiago generally.  Although I can't say it's been my favorite stop, it seems like a decent city.  But the pollution is awful!  I can smell it just walking around town.  The Andes mountains aren't far away, yet they can barely be seen through all of the smog.
This would be a fantastic view, if we could only see it.
Apparently, the Andes act as a trap for the pollution, which would otherwise blow away if the mountains weren't in the way.  But I blame the city for the pollution, not the mountains.  The pollution wouldn't be a problem if the city weren't so dirty in the first place, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment