Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 87: Rotorua, NZ Part I (April 4, 2011)

I'm in Rotorua, which is about in the middle of the North Island of New Zealand.  It's most well known for its sulpher hot springs, some unusual and beautiful geographic features, and Maori culture, and is on the shores of Sulpher Bay.
I spent the early part of the day walking around town and stopping at some sulpher pools to bath.  Well, to soak; I took a bath after the soak.  The part of town I'm staying in looks like a normal little town.  Lots of hostels, cafes, shops, banks, etc.  But apparently all around, including in parks in the town, are hot springs.  So the air has a faint stinky smell.  I shouldn't say stinky -- it's not that bad.  I wouldn't want my house to smell like this town, but it's not a bothersome smell, just ... different. 
The pools steam, even in warm weather.
And of course, they make for great hot baths:
The historic baths.
The modern baths.  There are both acidic and alkaline baths here.
I predict one of the next big developments in the web and TV will be the introduction of odor to enrich the experience.  I know John Waters tried this with his Smell-O-Vision in Polyester and it didn't really take off.  But I have high hopes.  Since I can't share the smell now, though, here are some visual representations of what sulpher smells like:
Lest you think the entire town is bleak and barren and stinky, I assure you that's not the case.  There is some cute turn-of-the century architecture here, and lots of greenery, which is extra colorful now that fall is beginning to turn the leaves different shades.
Silliest hat ever.
Tonight I have a ticket to one of the local Maori cultural shows.  I'm a little wary because I'm afraid it will either be (1) cheesy, (2) exploitative of the natives or (3) both.  But there are several in the area, and my innkeeper said they are pretty interesting and the Maoris take their rituals very seriously.  I'll see for myself in a few hours, and will post more later or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment