Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 104 (?): From Santiago's Airport (April 21, 2011)

This might end up being my post for the day, depending on my connection in Lima, Peru, and if anything interesting happens between now and when I fall asleep.  I'm writing from Santiago's airport, which does not offer free wifi, but nearly all of the cafes here do, so I bought a juice and got the wifi password from a cafe.

I don't like it here (the airport, not Santiago itself), not because the airport is a terrible place.  Other than the lack of real free wifi and the less-than ideal signage, the airport is fine.  Well lit, clean, enough seating, non-invasive security check, etc.  I think I'm just having one of those days. 

For example, because I wasn't sure I was at the right gate, I wandered to the next one to check at the counter and I left my laptop there.  I realized it about 2 minutes later, and I went back and it was where I left it but still... that was careless of me!  And earlier, before I came to the gate area, my chocolate caliente was very bad.  Not even like Swiss Miss powder mix (which I actually like, but recognize it's not the highest quality).  Just warm brown water.  :(

The worst was when I exchanged some money.  I'd forgotten to exchange my French Polynesian francs when I left Tahiti (a common error on my part, forgetting to exchange my money) and, knowing that a lot of planes from Santiago go to Tahiti, I tried to exchange it here to some chilean pesos.  I thought I had about 44 U.S. dollars worth of francs, but when I exchanged it for pesos, I only got about $14 in pesos back.  Thinking I'd made a mistake with my mental math, and that I either forgot how much my francs were worth or how much pesos were worth, I looked up all the exchange rates at www.xe.com/ucc (an up-to-date site for exchange rates).  Turns out, I was right -- my francs were worth about $44!  Now, I'd understand if I'd gotten, say $38 worth of pesos for my $44 worth of francs.  Exchange rates at airports aren't great, after all.  But to get $14 instead of $44?  There had to be a mistake, right?  So I returned to the exchange counter and learned that no... the rate this bank gives between pesos and francs really is that terrible; it was not a mistake.  Lucky for me, the guys at the counter returned my francs for the pesos.  I'm bound to get a better rate somewhere, and losing $30 was just silly.

Finally, my plane was supposed to leave 2 minutes ago and I don't think it's even at the gate yet.  My first delay of the journey!

I did have one minor victory:  By buying tonight's dinner here at a little cafe to take with me on the airplane, I managed to spend all but some loose change of my chilean money, so that's one less currency I need to worry about exchanging later.  I hope it doesn't continue to be one of those days...

No comments:

Post a Comment