Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 94: Moorea (April 11, 2011)

Maybe other islands in French Polynesia are more exciting than Moorea and Tahiti, but I don't get what the big draw is, especially considering how far and expensive this place is. Yes, the islands are beautiful, but they are hardly the only beautiful places on earth. And there really is very little to do here, and all of it expensive: Shopping for pearls, renting boats or jetskis, dining (ok, that's both fun and necessary, but can be done anywhere), maybe seeing a show. I think I'd be bored even on a honeymoon when all I wanted to do was loll around in bed and maybe get a massage or something. It seems like everything here could be acquired elsewhere, and for a lot less trouble. OK, the stingrays and sharks were cool. But worth the effort to get here? Hmm...

I'm mostly just hanging out at the motel, catching up on my writing today. I had lunch at the fancy hotel across the street, which makes yummy french-style grilled cheese sandwiches. And like my el crappo motel, and the beach we played on yesterday, even the fancy hotel is overrun with chickens and roosters. They just wandered all over the outdoor dining room and the reception area like they own the place.

Tied with the mosquito and the fly as my least favorite animal on this trip.
Monday on Moorea, like on Broadway, is a "dark" day, so there are no shows or anything to entertain me. I should be able to go out to see one tomorrow night, but I will spend the rest of today reading and catching up on my writing. And maybe reliving the 1980s a bit by playing a text adventure video game. So expect some updates about stuff from other parts of my trip, and maybe a final post or two from French Polynesia before I leave here on Wednesday night.

4 comments:

  1. *Nerd Alert* what text adventure are you playing, and what did you play growing up? I mostly did the Zork series and another MUD that I cannot recall at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other day it was "Wishbringer" but I grew up playing Zork, Leather Goddesses, Hitchhiker's Guide and lots of other great games by Infocom. Several years ago I picked up a compilation of almost all of Infocom's games, but have just now got around to reliving the good old days. /Feels nostalga for the Commodore 64/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read an article the other day that said they are going to start producing modern computers that look like the old Commodore 64. Apparently the hardest part of reproducing it has been getting the color right.

    ReplyDelete