Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

My first machete wound!

Seriously! But don't worry, I'm 100% alright and it was a self-inflicted wound caused by my clumsiness at a coconut stand. On the drive from Cape Coast to Accra (which took the better part of the day, but more on that in the next post) we stopped at a coconut stand. You might not know (I didn't, really) that it's a common drink and snack. People shave off the brown stuff, lop of a top so you can drink the milk, then chop it in half so you can scoop out the gooey insides. All with machetes, at least around here. And I learned that when standing near people weilding machetes, you need to be careful when you let your hand drop to your side.
I also learned that while I cannot abide that shredded sweet coconut that's used in deserts, I'm totally OK with the coconut milk and gooey stuff scraped out of the insides.

30 years from now, this will be a much better story because I'll embellish it to the point of unbelievability... then I'll show off my scar!

5 comments:

  1. Well you always wanted to be Indiana Jones. Now you have the cool (paper) hat, the snake encounter, crossing the scary bridge, your very impressive machete scar. Next you need a little whip action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried young coconut yet? It's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob-- I don't know. How would I identify a young versus an old coconut? I hear everyone eats and drinks coconut in Sri Lanka, so I should learn more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Young coconuts are often green, rather than brown. The main difference is the inside. Mature coconuts have that hard insides (after drinking the water) that you scrape off with a spoon. With a young coconut, those insides are more like a jelly. The water with a young coconut is also more sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hand model career is finished. Nobody will want to hire you with that hideous scar.

    ReplyDelete