Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hanging out on the wall of Elmina Castle

I just finished a tour of the Elmina Castle (of which I'll write more later), which was the first building built by Europeans in the tropics. They're not very picky about people wandering around alone, which I like! Or maybe they just don't know I snuck off and I'm sitting on the wall of the castle looking at the ocean. 
The beach here, like the beaches in Accra and Cape Coast, are almost deserted. The people in the area are, like me, just sitting around. Although most of them aren't pounding away at a computer. One boy stripped down on some nearby rocks and washed his clothes against the stones. Being saltwater, I'm not sure how clean they got. It was not pervy or dirty.  More like... the naturalness of taking off one's clothes, washing them, them putting them back on seemed representative of a lot I see around here. People don't have the privacy, or the money I suppose, to conduct all of their business out of sight. So it's not too strange to do it in public. I'll save my laundry for my hotel shower, though.
The only thing marring this tableau is about a 1/4 mile down the beach, some yahoo is talking quite emphatically into a loudspeaker. Like someone on the Mall, going on and on about Lyndon LaRouche or something.  Off to find munchies. I really like the food here but I uncharacteristically have little appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment