Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Days 20 & 21: Tarangire & Arusha

Why am I so tired?  It's only 10pm and I know I got enough sleep last night!  And despite being bitten by about 500 tsetse flies in Tarangire National Park yesterday, I don't actually think I caught the sleeping sickness.  Maybe it's the thought of waking at 5am tomorrow to take a 9-hour bus ride (that will probably be 11 hours) to Dar Es Salaam, on the coast of Tanzania.  Fortunately, one of the guys from the safari, Abdul, is heading the same way so I'll have a traveling companion.  It's better than being miserable alone.  ;-)  And as always when I change locations, I have no idea what the internet access will be like, so I might disappear again for a while.

Today I took a walk around town but mostly stayed at the hotel, catching up on chores like paying my bills, washing my clothes (hand washing clothes takes a long time!) and looking up things to do in Dar.  Nothing exciting today.

But yesterday was (mostly) fun, being the last day of the safari.  Tarangire had a number of animals we'd seen before, but some of the shots were even better.  The elephants in particular were fun to watch there:  They walked in columns, I kept hoping they'd grab each others' tails with their trunks, but they didn't lol.  Obligatory photos from Tarangire:
Unfortunately, the tsetse flies were so bad they almost completely negated our pleasure at being in the Park.  They ignore mosquito repellant and clothes and are just downright unpleasant.  Blech.

1 comment:

  1. It is Dad's belief that your stunning revelation of corruption in Cairo (1-18-11) was the breaking point in Egypt. Glad you escaped the country in the nick of time.

    ReplyDelete