Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

On the farm

Today I'm on Anton and Gary's farm, about 40 miles east of Columbus, Ohio.  They raise chickens and roosters for eggs and the slaughterhouse; rabbits for food and fur; sheep for wool; goats for milk.  They have a lot of ducks, which also for eggs and (maybe) food, and have a couple of apple orchards.  There's probably more going on around here, but that's what I remember.  So far I've feed some chickens and ducks, milked the goat, and moved a sheep paddock.  The animals are surprisingly calm, although I was too afraid of the rams to get close enough to see if they are as calm as everyone else around here.  Poop is everywhere.

I really like the idea of living on a farm; having lots of outdoor space and food at hand.  Not sure I'd love working 7 days a week, and (unless you hire help) never taking a vacation.  Or waking up at 5am to feed the livestock.  But it's a nice place to visit.

I brought my camera but don't have the means of uploading photos, so the most interesting ones will be posted in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment