Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Moving the sheep

Today's big activity was moving the sheep from one pasture to another.  Sheep are a little intimidating, at least to a city girl like me.  They seem to be afraid of me, but they are also really curious.  When I went into their pasture a few days ago to pout water into their bucket, they all gathered round and tried to assimilate me! 
Then one of the sheep started to gently chew on my shoe, which of course made me freak out on the inside.  It turns out the fellow was harmless and curious, but I wasn't about to turn my back on THAT guy as I left the pasture.  Anyway...

We first rounded up some temporary fences from other parts of the farm to create funnels to channel the sheep to their new pasture.  The goal was to make the sheep keep running to the new pasture and not be tempted (or scared) into running off course.  Next we set up the outside perimeter of the new pasture.  The most fun part, which took three of us, was running the sheep from the old pasture to the new.  Anton gathered the sheep around him by shaking the grain bucket, then sprinted to the new pasture.
Gary and I stood on the side, to keep the sheep together in case any of them broke from the herd.  It turned out neither Gary nor I had to chase the sheep back onto the main course, which I was looking forward to.  Instead, we sprinted after the sheep and then stood around mildly intimidating the sheep while Anton completed the fence around the new pasture.
Speaking softly, and carrying a big stick.
Also, I milked the goat again, with more success this time.  She didn't kick the milk bucket over half-way through like the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment