Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Early thoughts on blogging

Most of my days this week, especially at the farm, have been interesting.  Yet actually writing about my days does not flow naturally from having experienced my days.  Granted, Anton is one of my best friends and I'd rather chat with him and have fun than write about chatting and having fun.  So I haven't written as much as I could have.

And there's the element of telling a story to people about something that was "really funny at the time" but isn't really funny when you tell the story to others.  Like driving past that farm down the road that just spread manure all over its fields; its both horrendously awful and hysterically funny at the same time, but only if you're there to catch a whiff of the urine-soaked cowpaddies (something I hope to never smell again!).  Maybe writing would work better if I could somehow do a running commentary throughout the day, which might capture more of my wry observations about stuff.  That at least might come more naturally when I'm traveling alone for 4 months and need to talk to someone, anyone, even if it's just me writing to myself from a cafe somewhere.  (Is this where someone will suggest I tweet, which I have never done?)

I'm also conscious of the fact that I'm writing this all pretty quickly, without taking care to get it just right, and I have no idea who my audience will be.  Well actually, I know that much... it will be my mom lol.  So I have to become accustomed to writing without worrying about whether it's great literature or whether it's complete rubbish.  Or caring too much what people think.  I had to become accustomed to that in a physical/looks sense with my Hi Noon project.  Because I sure don't look that great everyday in my noontime photos (see, e.g., the day I'm riding the Metro after dance class and the day I'm in my bikini at the YMCA).

Time to go... I'm helping Anton take the chickens to the slaughterhouse.  Another new experience for me, which I will write about later.

No comments:

Post a Comment