Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Columbus Revisited


Like Chicago, I didn't make Columbus an official stop on my 2011 tour because I've been there so many times. I'd say at least a dozen times over the past 20 years. So I didn't give Columbus the same thorough inspection as some of the other cities, but I've seen a number of its neighborhoods, eaten at its restaurants, and experienced a few things with friends that I might not have found if I'd explored it “my way.” Sadly, for the same reason, I don't have many photos.
Some old industrial building in Columbus, now converted to an arts center.
Most of my visits (maybe all of my visits?) to Columbus have been to see friends, some of whom are no longer there. But one of my closest friends and his family live nearby and another friend from grade school is in one of the suburbs, so I'd have a few people to help introduce me to others. And in my experience, the people in Columbus are generally pretty down to earth and friendly. From what I can tell, a lot like they are in my hometown Cleveland, which makes sense since they are only about 120 miles apart. So I expect I'd meet friendly neighbors and people.

Now, while Columbus has a few old and charming neighborhoods, it is not what I consider to be a particularly pretty city. It's by no means a dump, it's just nothing special in either natural or man-made beauty. It's pretty flat, and is smack in the middle of Ohio. So it's not near a large body of water, just a river through town.

Things I think I'd like about Columbus:
  • I'm a big college football fan, and Columbus is home to Ohio State, one of the teams I root for (although admittedly, Ohio State has let me down recently due to some off-field shenanigans). I think it would be a lot of fun being in a college town on game day, where all the bars show the game and all the neighbors are rooting for the team.
  • Partly related to the presence of Ohio State and for other reasons, there will always be something to do. College and community events, sports, art galleries, classes, COSI, etc.
  • A fairly easy travel distance to my loved ones, while still feeling like I am in my city. Now, I'm not one of those people who feels the need to get as far away from their family as possible. But I also like the little feeling of independence that comes with being in a place where I have to depend on myself. And yes, I recognize the irony of writing this from my parents' house, where I've been living for the past three months lol.
Things I think I'd dislike about Columbus:
  • In kind of the same way I think I'd second-guess myself for moving from DC to Philly, I might wonder why I'd choose Columbus over Cleveland, which is my hometown and a city I know I like, am much more familiar with, and in which I have many more friends and loved ones. The two cities are quite similar in a lot of ways. Medium cities, both in Ohio, similar political leanings, similar climates.
  • I don't think Columbus is very walkable. There are a few places where one could live and walk to shops and restaurants, but it's not the norm.

2 comments:

  1. The old building is one of the first arsenals built in Ohio and was constructed in 1861. It's one of the oldest and only buildings in Columbus still in continuous use since being erected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I knew it was a building of some note.

    ReplyDelete