Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chicago Revisited


Chicago was not one of my “audition” cities because I'd been there several times before and I already knew I liked it. Looking back on my stop there last summer, maybe I could have learned more by visiting some new neighborhoods, but I figure I've seen more of Chicago over the years than I saw of most of my audition cities during my deliberate explorations.
I added Chicago to my list because it's always been my favorite city in the U.S. to visit. And it doesn't hurt that it's a place where I could continue working in the same field. I've always liked the midwestern feel to the people. They seem down to earth and friendly, and I don't get that sense of self-importance that I sometimes pick up in big cities. I have several friends in town, so I know I'd have an easy start to building my own social circle. And in my experience, strangers tend to chit chat with one another in Chicago, so I am not worried that I will have a hard time making friends on my own.
I met this furry friend on the campus of Northwestern's Law School.
In terms of how it looks, I've long considered Chicago to be the best-looking city in the U.S., at least in terms of its architecture and art. Other cities might have better natural beauty, but I've always tended to prefer man-made beauty to natural beauty, and architecture to other forms of visual arts. So I really like how Chicago looks. I've been warned by others that Chicago's downtown can be “dark” because all the tall building block out the sun. But by now, you all know how I feel about the sun, so that doesn't sound like a downside to me.
Cloudy & rainy can be just as cool as bright & sunny!
Chicago's terrain is not as varied as some places. Flying into the city, one can see that it is just flat as far as the eye can see. I very much like how it's on Lake Michigan, though. That adds some natural visual interest. And having grown up about ½ mile from Lake Erie, I've always liked having a big body of water nearby to physically orient myself to the world.
Navy Pier
Three things I think I'd like about Chicago:
  • Being back in the Midwest. It's a slightly slower and more laid-back pace to life than on the east coast. People have more time for another, and don't take themselves so seriously. Yes, I'm generalizing, but in my experience, people in the Midwest trend towards these characteristics.
  • Community theater. Chicago is big on community theater and other low-key entertainment options. I like going out for culture, but don't always like the cost involved. Once in a while I spring on something like a Broadway show or the ballet, but I know I'd go out more if I had many lower-cost and easily accessible entertainment options.
  • I don't know how to phrase this as “something I'd like about Chicago” but it's always been my favorite place to visit in the U.S. I've been there maybe 10 times, a few for work, but most for fun. I like the different neighborhoods, the bars, the range of things to do. When I was overseas and I met foreigners who expressed an interest in visiting New York City, I always told them to visit Chicago instead. It's prettier, there is just as much to do, and the people are nicer. So maybe I can just say that I have a general enthusiasm for the place.
Cool architecture, probably by someone famous like so many buildings in Chicago.
Three things I think I'd dislike about Chicago:
  • Winter!
  • It's the third biggest metropolitan area in the country. It's taken me 90 minutes to travel from one suburb to another. There are people everywhere. Although I've discovered that in big cities, I could make a little bubble for myself in a neighborhood and live as if it's a mini-city. But as soon as I want to venture out of my bubble, it's gonna be a pain in the ass.
  • I don't think it will be as cheap as my research and my friends tell me. I don't mean I'm expecting prices to be as low as Des Moines or Cleveland, but I suspect prices for things like rent and dinners out will be much closer to DC than to smaller cities. High prices make me unhappy, even if I have a correspondingly high income.

No comments:

Post a Comment