Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cities: Education

This was a hard category to research.  I'm glad I'm not a parent trying to find a good school system for my kids.  Maybe it's easier when one knows the exact schools their kids might attend, instead of trying to learn about a whole county.  I opted to research the entire county (when I could), knowing that inner cities often aren't the best measure for the educational opportunities and attidudes of the whole region.  My data notes where I have county info or only city info.

Anyway, I added this broad category of things to research not because I'm planning to return to school or send kids of my own to school, but because I value education and would prefer to live in a community where most other people value education too.  Turned out to be really hard to measure how much everyone in a county values education.  So I turned to some statistics that I hope reveal both how educated the populace is, and how much support there is for education generally.

High School Graduation Rate by County & City: County data from Patchworknation.org (2000). USA Today/EPE Research Center for primary city only (2006).

LA County: 69.90%. LA only: 44.2%. Lowest county rate.
Chicago/Cook County: 77.70%. Chicago only: 52.2%
Philadelphia County: 71.20%. Philly only: 55.5%
Columbus/Franklin County: 85.70%
DC only: 77.80%. Montgomery County: 81.5%. Fairfax County: 82.5%. PG County: 67.3%.
Denver County: 78.90%. Denver only: 46.8%
Portland/Multnomah County: 85.60%
Raleigh/Wake County: 89.30%. 82.2%.
Cleveland/Cuyahoga County: 81.60%. Cleveland only: 43.8%. Lowest city rate.
Des Moines County: 85.80%
Asheville/Buncombe County: 81.90%

Annual Public Education Spending City Only: (Bestplaces.net)  I have no idea if there is a correlation between spending per student and the quality of the education.

Chicago: $4,528 per student  Surprisingly low considering Chicago's generally high cost of living.
Philadelphia: $4,897 per student
Cleveland: $8,393 per student  Surprisingly high considering Cleveland's general low cost of living.
Des Moines: $5,007 per student
Asheville: $5,558 per student

Number of Students per Teacher in Public Schools City Only: (Bestplaces.net)

Cleveland: 12.2 students per teacher  I suppose when 56% of the students drop out, that leaves a good student/teacher ratio behind.

So all of that was about K-12 education.  I also researched post-high school graduation information.  I started with looking at how many colleges were in each metropolitan area.

Colleges:  I couldn't be bothered writing down every single college in town; just some flagship schools an

LA: At least 6, including USC & UCLA.
Chicago: At least 12 in the area, including Chicago & Northwestern.
Philadelphia: A whole bunch, including UPenn, Temple & St. Joe's.
Columbus: Ohio State, plus others.
DC: At least 6, more in suburbs. Including my alma mater.
Denver: Several. Colorado U is 45 minutes away in Boulder.
Portland: A bunch, including Reed & Portland State.
Raleigh: NC State, others nearby like UNC & Duke, my other alma mater.
Cleveland: Cleveland State, CWRU.
Des Moines: Drake & Grand View. Iowa State in Ames is 45 minutes away.
Asheville: Several, including UNC Asheville & Western Carolina.

Percentage of elitist and indoctrinated snobs in the county age 25.  Oh wait, that's what the pompous and anti-intellectual blowhard Rick Santorum calls them.  I call them people age 25 and over with bachelor's degree or higher (US Census, Patchworknation.org).

LA: 29%, 25%
Chicago: 33.2%, 28%
Philadelphia: 22.2%, 18%. The lowest.
Columbus: 35%, 32%
DC: 49% (DC only), 39%
Denver: 40%, 35%
Portland: 37.5%, 31%
Raleigh: 47.4%, 44%
Cleveland: 28.2%, 25%
Des Moines: 32.8%, 16%
Asheville: 31.2%, 25%

No comments:

Post a Comment