Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day 78: Christchurch, NZ (March 26, 2011)

Woke up this morning with a very sore throat and stuffy head.  Well, I went to bed last night with a minor sore throat, which I'd hoped had been caused by changes in weather or lack of sleep (both can give me sore throats... hell, everything gives me sore throats...)  But I guess it's either a cold or my allergies have hit really hard, after not bothering me at all for 2.5 months.  /sighs and rolls eyes, feels sorry for self/

So I stayed tucked in bed until early afternoon, when hunger drove me out to the bakery and grocery store.  I bought some meat pies (yum), locally-made soups (yum) and fruit and veggies (boring but good for me).  My B&B in in a residential neighborhood that borders a ... what do I call it? ... light industrial park area.  When you can buy tires, new kitchens, that sort of thing.  So I didn't pass anything really nice on my way to the shops, but I did see some remnants of the earthquake that happened about 5 weeks ago.  Most buildings (that I saw) are still standing and don't have obvious damage.  Others appear to only have mild damage, but must be pretty bad because they are fenced off and completely empty.
About 3 houses down from my B&B.
On the drive from the airport last night, I couldn't see a whole lot because it was dark, but a large number of streets were blocked off because they are ripped up.  And we have to boil the tap water before we drink it (the B&B host does that for us).
When I returned, I slept for about 4 hours, probably caused by a combination of lack of sleep in Melbourne and my fuzzy head.  And let's face it, I enjoy a good nap, and I don't think I've had one since Singapore.  This means I'll be awake until 2am, but that's probably good because I need to figure out bus schedules and stuff, get myself out of this closed-down town.

UPDATE:  I can't believe I forgot this part.  At one point during my nap, I was awoken by ... something.  At the time it sounded and felt like a large truck rumbling past, or someone upstairs dropping a large box of books, but my first thought was "earthquake!"  Turns out it was an earthquake -- well, aftershock.  But for some reason it didn't phase me at all, maybe because it was so small and I was so tired, and I just went right back to sleep.  Chet, the owner of the B&B told me they've been getting aftershocks at least once a day, but most of them are very small and don't cause damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment