Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

An Old-Timey Hotel

If I had more money, I would have stayed at more fun places.  But they can be expensive, or if not, they can be really run-down and creepy.  But while driving through northern New Mexico, I was lured to El Rancho, Home of the Movie Stars in Gallup by the dozens of billboards lining the highway.  It turned out to be only a few dollars more than I prefer to spend each night, so I stayed.
Being an old hotel, it's got a fancy lobby, and some "walls of fame" of old movie stars, maybe of who stayed at El Rancho back in the day when Hollywood filmed a lot of westerns in the New Mexico desert.
It's got a gaudy sign outside:
And a player piano inside:  [Video coming if I can ever figure out how to upload it!]
As a final note, I discovered in Gallup that gas stations in New Mexico serve burritos instead of hot dogs.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment