Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

I Remember (My Trip To) The Alamo!

And good thing too, because it was two weeks ago and I didn't write about it at the time.

On my way to Austin, I stopped in downtown San Antonio, Texas for a few hours, mostly to see The Alamo and anything else I could squeeze in.  I picked a bad day to visit, because Something Special was going on downtown (I still don't know what) and even though it was a Sunday, pretty much every parking space in the city was already taken.  I finally found a spot down a mildly-shady residential street (shady as in dangerous, not tree-lined) so I got my spot without paying the outrageous parking lot fees.  Ahem.

Anyway...  The Alamo is just like it looks like on TV.  (In fact, the photo from the official website looks just like my photo here!)  It's pretty small, and you can go inside (but cannot take photos).
I rented the audio tour, which I almost always do because they are full of information.  So now I actually know what the battle for The Alamo was all about, what The Alamo actually was, and what the other buildings nearby were used for.  I also learned some about Texas's history as an independent country.
I usually dislike random people being in my photos, but the look on this lady's face is too great to delete.
And speaking of Texas being an independent country... a Google search for "Republic of Texas" returns a website explaining how Texas is still an independent country as the very first result.  Before the Wikipedia entry on the actual Republic of Texas!  Well, stuff like this does a lot to explain why I saw far more Texas flags than U.S. flags in both San Antonio and Austin:
The eyes of Texas are upon you.
Maybe at the next Republican, um ... "debate," someone should ask Rick Perry just how patriotic Texans can be, still flying their own flags and thinking they're a separate country and all.

Coming up next:  Austin auditions to be my next home.

6 comments:

  1. As far as I'm concerned they can go right back to being an dependent country again (sorry ZZ Top)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, wasn't that the glorious state of your birth? What no loyalty?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul was born in Texas? Does that make him an illegal alien?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always liked the original Alamo movie with John Wayne. It's a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I was born there. I was even given a certificate that says I'm and "Official" Texan. I think it's the current political poop that the state is putting out that turns me off.

    Of course, it isn't all bad. I've heard you can get great Mexican (or rather Tex-Mex) food there. Austin is supposed to be rockin' and again, ZZ Top, "that lil' ol' band from Texas" is native. Oh, and I'm from there, so yeah....

    Gaby, illegal, maybe, alien, definitely. Or at least I've always felt that way ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope all is well Gabby. You must be having a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete