Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Vancouver

Since I seem to have caught another cold (sigh...), I can at least spend more time on my blog than out and about.  I'm writing from Portland, Oregon, which I will review in a few days.  I've gotten to see a significant chunk of the city already, with just one major part left that I will visit tomorrow (even if I'm sniffly!) so one sick day won't really cut into my plans here.  If I'm really ambitious, I'll spend some time with my map of California, figuring out where and when I'll be there, and working in stops with my friends along the way.

Back to the travel part of the blog (as opposed to the I'm-sickly part):  I stopped in Vancouver, British Columbia for 2 nights to see my friend Barb, who I first knew as Malakyi in the World of Warcraft.  She lives in the suburb of Richmond, but we got into Vancouver itself one night for some dinner and bookstore browsing.
With Barb at The Naam, in a spiffy Vancouver neighborhood.
Something that struck me about Vancouver was how many people were out and about, walking all over town.  It gave the town a lively edge, yet managed not to look too busy and crowded because of that.  I only got to see a sliver of Vancouver.  Maybe if I'd been there alone I'd have seen more (I've yet to stop someplace cool and manage not to see any of it) but because I was at my friend's, it was easy to have a good time staying in, so in the end, I only saw a little peek of Vancouver but a fair amount of Barb and her place.

And once again, for those who like to know about food, the place we dined in is an all-vegetarian restaurant, which I don't think I've ever tried before.  The menu was large -- about as big as an ordinary menu -- but Barb and I went for similar dishes:  Big bowls of veggies and some type of starch.  They look like rabbit food, but are very fresh and with the yummy sauces for each bowl, were very good.  I ate half at dinner and planned to eat the other half for breakfast, but instead I wound up eating it as my second dinner.  (An event that happens more often than I care to admit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment