Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Idaho & Western Washington State

Upon leaving Utah, I drove north through Idaho.  I've been to Idaho before, to Boise and to Craters of the Moon National Monument, which is another one of those parks out west that people in the east have never heard of, but is really freaking cool.  It looks like the surface of the moon, because it's all so black and desolate (that's not my photo, but dad and I climbed that hill last summer when we toured the park).
A vista from my drive through southern Idaho.
On this trip, however, I had some deadlines to keep, so I didn't dilly-dally in Idaho.  But I did make sure to stop in Boise and stay at The Modern Hotel, which is kind of just an ordinary hotel, only way cooler.  I know it because last summer, mom and dad and I stopped there for a drink, and we thought it was very cool.  At the time, I had no idea that I'd ever be back in Boise, let alone as soon as 15 months later, but I vowed that if I ever returned, I'd stay at the Modern Hotel.
The Modern Patio
For those of you who like to read about what I eat and drink, I had not one but two of the bar's Lucky Fridas (gin, lime, egg white, fresh mint, bitters).  And for those of you who don't know me too well, you'll know that two mixed drinks is a lot.  The food was great, too, and even better is that nearly everything on the menu is available in 1/2 size for 1/2 the price (instead of the usual restaurant scam: 1/2 the size for 4/5 the price).  My gnocchi was delicious:
Half-eaten
If you ever make it to Boise, book a room at the hotel, and enjoy a meal and a drink in the bar!

My next stops were both in Washington State.  First in Pullman, where I stayed for a few days with my sister's godmother Jean and her husband Roger.  I saw them last summer when they married (which is why my parents and I were in that part of the country) but I liked seeing them with just the three of us, because they were too busy last summer to spend much time with any one person.  So three nights at their house were very relaxing and we got to chat a lot.  I didn't do a whole lot in Pullman besides relax and some chores and talking to my two loved ones there, but it felt really good.
Sharing a Scandinavian breakfast with Roger and Jean.
An inadequate photo of The Palouse (pronounced puh-LOOZ) in SE Washington State.
Second, on my way to Canada, I got to see Jim and Sally, who I met last summer at Jean and Roger's wedding.  They live in Yakama, but I met up with them in Republic, where they'd rented a little cabin for a short vacation and generously got one with an extra room for me.  :)  Even though I'd met them only that one weekend, they were really fun and easy to talk to, so I'm glad we got to meet up.  I feel like a heel for forgetting to get a photo of any of us.  :(  Instead, I'll plug Sally's blog where you can read about fibers and meet Sally but maybe cannot meet Jim.  Sorry, Jim!  /feels dumb for forgetting a photo.

3 comments:

  1. I meant to tell you that if you drive through Utah again on your way to somewhere else, Drive through ROY, and have a BURGER BAR burger for me and post pictures so I Can feel like i"m eating it with you. A Big Cheese Ben with a LIME Ricky to drink. *sigh* I miss that place so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tawsha -- When were you in Utah? Did you live there?

    Sadly, I don't think I'll be driving through Utah on my way back anywhere. I'm in Oregon right now and head to California next. (And I'm about a week behind on my blog, as usual.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL yeah I was born in at Hill Air Force Base on the Layton side. Lived there till i was 17 and would love to go back. But I married a Momma's boy who won't leave GA. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete