Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Bridges of Madison County

The first thing I learned today is that it takes almost as long to take down a tent as it does to put up a tent.  In part, that's due to having to take all the stuff out of it first, and making sure everything gets packed the right way so the next set-up goes smoothly.  But still.  Well, I'll know to budget more time to deconstruction next time I take down a tent.
What's that you say?  You didn't know I would be camping?  Yes indeed.  To save some money, and hopefully to have fun, I bought a tent and some gear (I've been too afraid to try my stove, though... I know I'm gonna screw it up lol).  I won't sleep in it every night, but I'll use it a lot.  It's not a lot of trouble, although it's really no fun to deal with in the sun in 90 degree weather either.  But it's more fun than not fun, so I'll keep doing it.

On to today.  I took time out of my regularly scheduled activity (touring Des Moines, which I'll write more about in the next day or two) to tour the famous covered bridges of Madison County, Iowa.  If you're wondering, yes, I did read the book but I didn't see the movie.  I'll probably watch it now, to see the places I've seen with my own eyes.
Bah, I accidentally had my camera on some stupid setting, so all the pics are too bright.
There used to be a lot more covered bridges in the county, but only 6 remain.  And only one of them is in shape to have cars drive across it.
The one you can still drive across.
There's not a lot more to say about Madison County.  It's mostly farms, with a few picturesque areas, usually near the bridges or the rivers.  It's also where John Wayne was born, as every sign along every corner in the county lets you know.

1 comment:

  1. I mentioned to my friend Dan the other night... I've now been to a whole lot of places, but I wonder how many of my friends have seen the covered bridges of Madison County? I bet very few. I'll have to add them to my list of unusual things I've seen. I'm happy there is something so (relatively) close to home that is so famous yet so little-seen.

    ReplyDelete