Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Blueberry Beer and Fried Dough in the Minors


Written by guest blogger Nicky

I arrived in Portland this afternoon coming straight from the homecoming service for my friend and colleague, Charrise. It was a long week, and I was very much looking forward to these next few days.

I had visited Portland once about ten years ago, and only for one night. I remember really liking the city, and when I decided to meet Gaby here I imagined us spending a few nights in the historic downtown. But, thanks to my procrastination, by the time I sat down to book a hotel there was nothing available downtown for Saturday. This ultimately worked to our advanatage because we ended up staying just few blocks away from Hadlock Field, home of the AA Portland Sea Dogs. We decided to catch a game.

We strolled up the ticket window and lucked into two free tickets. The game was great--much more laid back than the majors, but suprisingly, almost as commercialized.

The highlight was the local delicacies that we enjoyed while at the game: blueberry flavored microbrews and fried dough.
Nicky really likes the beer.
Gaby trying fried dough.
Most of you are probably thinking, 'how is fried dough a local delicacy?' The answer: it's not, but Gaby thought it was. I learned something surprising about my sister last night. Somehow she managed to live for 35+ years without ever having fried dough, elephants ear, doughboys, or whatever-it-is you want to call dough that is fried with powdered sugar on top. How's it possible to travel the world but never have experienced something found at every boardwalk, amusement park, and fairground in the United States?

1 comment: