Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It threw me for a loop!

Something unexpected happened yesterday.  The thing itself is pretty small, and possibly nothing will come of it, but just being confronted with this thing made me all wound up.  The thing that happened?  I stumbled across a job announcement for which I am a really good candidate.  Not a perfect candidate, but a good one.  But the thing is ... I'm not mentally ready to apply for a job yet!!!  /Macaulay Culkin Face/
The little face, not the big one.

I haven't figured out where I want to live.  I haven't figured out if there are other career paths I'd like to pursue.  This is too soon!  It's only February, and I figured I wouldn't be employed until at least after my class reunion this June!  Or my 2012 London Olympics Disaster Prediction Pool Party this July!  Or maybe later!  After I've re-visited a few of the cool places I discovered last year!
That's right.  YOU.
So yeah, I had a temporary and minor freak-out when I realized that other opportunities might come my way before I expect them.  And opportunities are good, but they also mean I have to make choices.  Sometimes before I know all my options or have considered which ones I like best.

I've told myself since I left my job (and told other people too) that I feel lucky that during 2012 I will be in the position of looking for a place and a job that really suit me.  I won't have to take the first job that is offered to me.  But what will I do if I'm offered a good job that I think will suit me, but still have other things to explore?  What will I do if a home opportunity presents itself and I still have other places to see?
Ah, beautiful flowers to calm me down!
These are good problems.  I'm sharing them so you know I'm not entirely calm, cool and collected about my job & home search.  It looks all neat and tidy when I organize the data on my blog.  And when I tell people about my methodology for picking the perfect place.  And as I work through all of the exercises in What Color Is My Parachute?  But I expect I'm about to find out that all my planning and caution will amount to little in the face of reality and life's curve balls.  A bit scary, but exciting too.

Oh, and if you're wondering, I decided to apply for the job.  And to continue my research plan as if I hadn't found the announcement.  I'll keep you posted.
Totally changing subjects... that last photo was from Austin, but my friend Dave recently told me that Washington, D.C. is home to 19 designer cupcake shops.  Does that seem a little excessive to anyone else?

3 comments:

  1. Maybe this is life's way of telling you to stick it out in D.C.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be. Or, as Paul suggested in another thread, maybe it's dumb luck.

    Also, for some reason I've had more than 700 page views since I wrote this post, and it's only been 24 hours. Since I don't think I somehow became super popular or a better writer overnight, I think it must be Mr. Culkin that's bringing in the traffic as people search for him on Google or something.

    Hell, if I'd known all it took to get hundreds of page views was to post a photo of Macaulay Culkin, I'd have done it on the first day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha!

    Macauly's in the new because a photo popped up of him looking really gaunt. I'm guessing people are flooding google with searches for pics, and let's face it, it'd be hard not to click on THAT pic of him. :-)

    ReplyDelete