Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Columbia River Gorge

After leaving Portland (while heading to see friends in Bend, Oregon), I traveled along historic U.S. Route 30,  which runs parallel to the Columbia River Gorge.  It is a beautiful road, with pretty stops -- mostly of waterfalls -- all along the way.
The Columbia River
While traveling east away from Portland, I crossed over the Cascade Mountains, which divide the wet climate along the shore from the "high desert" of the rest of the state.  You can see how different the terrain is east of mountains than west:
And it's not just that the sun came out once I crossed the mountains; the terrain is much cooler and dryer, the grass much browner, and there are fewer trees.

I'll have more photos of eastern Oregon coming in my next post!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you drove the Gorge. Dad & I thought it was one of the more glorious roads we've driven without the fear of death by falling off the road.

    ReplyDelete